Recently we took part in a fabulous workshop to create your own hanging basket at Making It! Discovery Centre in Mansfield.
Here is what we did!
- Take a clean hanging basket and line with black plastic bin liner
- Fill half full with compost
- Add in plant food and water retaining granules
- Put in some more compost until the basket is almost full.
- Now the fun bit – adding your plants.
- We chose Begonia, Lobelia, Petunia and Verbena. What beautiful names these flowers have!
- Dig a hole in the centre for your centrepiece plant, then dot other smaller plants around the edge. It is a good idea to use trailing plants such as Lobelia around the edge.
- Water well (3 large jugs into the basket and leave to soak for one hour).
- When the hanging baskets are in situ, puncture holes into the plastic to allow drainage.
- Continue to daily in warm weather. If you go on holiday you may need to ask a neighbour to water your plants for you.